By Callum McDoug
“The MAGIC of Learning” looks at how training/teaching is just like performing MAGIC. It is my personal assessment that performance and discomfort make education/training come alive.
Education/training, at its most engaging moment, is performance / participative art. From the moment a teacher/trainer steps into the classroom, participants for the most part look to him or her to set the tone and course of study for everyone, from the most enthusiastic to the most apathetic participants. Teachers/trainers need to engage students in the process, and serve as a vital conduit between learner, teacher/trainer and subject matter.
Instructor Led/Participant centered training is engagement through performance and may - just be the most important skill in a teacher/trainers bag of tricks.
The first job of a teacher/trainer is to help the participants enjoy the subject matter as much as possible. That doesn’t have to be done by waving your arms and prancing around the classroom; there’s all sorts of ways to go at it, but no matter what, you as the teacher/trainer are a symbol of the subject in the participants’ minds.
We as teacher/trainers have as a duty to engage, to create romance that can transform apathy into interest, and, if a teacher/trainer does his/her job well, a transference of enthusiasm from teacher/trainer to student will take place. The best teacher/trainers will find a way to teach content while keeping participants interested.
Cancellation Policy: No-shows will be billed. To avoid a no-show billing, please cancel by October 21, 2019 by emailing email@example.com
Topics to be covered
- How to put “The MAGIC of Learning” into practice.
- Understanding MAGICAL presentations styles - to better train any audience.
- What is “MAGICAL” about Instructor Led & Participant Centered Training Anyway?
- The Magic of Using Power Point and Videos Effectively & Affectively!
General Facilitating Objectives:
- To energize all instructors/trainers partaking in the proposed one day class.
- To model techniques of conducting and facilitating better training sessions.
- To demonstrate essential skills / techniques for running better trainings and facilitating individual and group activities.
- To put fun (MAGIC) into the training - which will in turn, put the fun (MAGIC)
- To know how to better utilize power point and video to increase retention of the “Have To Know Content.”
General Training Objectives:
- To identify each person’s training/teaching style and how it contributes to the success of the course and the participants.
- How to involve the participants to maximum capacity.
- How to influence your trainers and “Subject Matter Experts” (SME’s) in a positive way to build true collaboration into the course around the CPR model of facilitating using the “MAGIC OF LEARNING.”
- To take a good look at why the Instructor Led & Participant Centered Training Model is advantageous to teacher/trainers and SME’s.
- To identify great “MAGICAL” CORE elements of an effective training. Closing, Opening, Reviewing & Energizers.
What you need to know about Doug McCallum
Doug McCallum has been training/teaching adults for over 40 years. As a professional teacher/trainer/consultant he has traveled extensively around the world and has been recognized as one of the top national and international training professionals by his peers. In 2009 & 2015, Doug was selected as the “Trainer of the Year” by the Bob Pike Group, an international training company, located in Minneapolis, Minnesota. In 2017, Doug was honored at Chadron State College with the Distinguished Alumni Award for his accomplishments.
He received his Bachelor Degree of Science Degree from Chadron State College and a Master’s Degree from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. He has developed 1500 seminars as well as keynotes. Doug’s professional career includes sales, public school teaching, industrial consulting, public speaking, counseling, and he was an instructor/professor at the University of Nebraska - Lincoln for 8 years.
Doug has been has been commissioned to work in 12 foreign countries and all 50 U.S. States. He has personally conducted workshops and trainings for over 75,000 professional teachers, trainers and corporate leaders and given more than 150 keynote addresses.
A partial listing of clients includes: United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard as well as U.S.A.I.D, Department of Agriculture, Defense, Transportation, F.B.I. and numerous government agencies such as the Federal Bureau of Prisons. The Universities of Nebraska, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Stanford, as well many other colleges and universities, have used his skills and talents. In addition, numerous companies have also requested his services.
As a trainer/teacher/speaker he brings an ability to educate, entertain, plus a sense of humor and the right amount of empathy. Doug has the expertise to help the new or seasoned trainer/teacher find techniques that work.
Doug co-authored “SCORE” - Super Closers, Openers, Energizers, & Reviews. He has also authored two cartoon/quotation books entitled “Don’t Send Your Turkeys To Eagle School!” and “The Speed Of The Leader Determines the Rate Of The Pack!” as well as co-authoring “The Presenter’s Survival Kit - It’s A Jungle Out There!” In addition, he co-authored training programs with nationally and internationally known trainers over the past 40 years.